Monday, June 6, 2011

Creamy Chicken Enchiladas

My cousin-in-law, Heather, posted on facebook that she planned to make Creamy Chicken Enchiladas for supper one night. Curious if these were actually the rolled up enchiladas or stacked, I checked back after supper and this is what she said: “Goodness! These enchiladas are AMAZING!!! Glad I found this recipe :) Will definitely be making Creamy Chicken Enchiladas again!!! Michael even LOVES them.”
I needed this recipe. I love all things Mexican food and with the word creamy in the title-who could resist? Needless to say, I wasn’t the only one requesting the recipe so she posted it. It called for a block of cream cheese, Monterey cheese, and 2 CUPS HEAVY CREAM! No wonder it’s “creamy”…I now had to make these! And.......it had to be a naptime premake!
I do all of my grocery shopping for a month and I went two weeks ago, so I had to make do with what I had. I never buy heavy cream…I just can’t bring myself to feed that to my family…yet. We also try to be somewhat healthy/low fat when we can. So I made adjustments with what we had on hand and noted them in parenthesis.
1-8oz block cream cheese (1/3 less fat kind)
1-8oz block Monterey Jack shredded (Marbled Jack)
1 medium chopped onion
1 T butter (used 1/2T in nonstick pan)
1-4oz can green chilies, diced
½ cup sour cream
3 ½ cups chopped chicken (rotisserie thighs-I have 3 rotisserie birds deboned in freezer just for recipes like this ;)
2 cups heavy cream (1 can green chili sauce+1 can cream celery+2 spoons sour cream+milk to fill to almost 3 cups)
10-12 tortillas (we used half whole wheat and half regular..the wheat is thinner)
Sauté onion in butter until translucent, add chilies and cook 1 minute more. Plop the cream cheese block in and smash and stir until melted, add sour cream and chicken. Remove from heat. In a 9x13 casserole dish, pour ½ cup of “heavy cream” mixture in the bottom and spread all around dish. Spoon chicken filling in to each tortilla, roll tightly, and place seam side down in casserole dish. Repeat until you run out of room or filling. Top with shredded cheese and then drizzle with the cream mixture. I had to use a spoon to spread it over some spots of the tortillas-I don’t like crunchy enchiladas…I want them creamy.
To up the veggies: Red bell pepper would be yummy in these, and maybe even some drained diced tomatoes inside as well-humph, shoulda tried that.
Bake 350 for 30-45 minutes or until bubbly.

There ya have it! Another naptime premake! I plan to make some Mexican fried rice to go with this as a side. The rice is left over from another meal-sautéed onion and celery with some EVOO should do the trick. YUM!
Thanks Heather, I plan on filling my plate and continuing my membership with the “Clean Your Plate” club tonight. ;)

1 comment:

  1. I just got on and saw this recipe! You'll have to let me know how they turn out. I definitely would want to try your version... maybe some peppers and mushrooms would be good too! I think my hips get bigger just reading the original recipe... :)

    ReplyDelete